board of director election 2024
FILIPINO CANADIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS (FCNC)
The Filipino Canadian National Congress (FCNC) is a duly registered national not-for-profit organization affiliated with the Canada Philippines Parliamentary Friendship Group, and is mandated to represent the strong Filipino presence in Canada before the people and Government of Canada. The FCNC coordinates and represents the concerns and interests of nearly 1M voices within the Filipino Canadian communities, and advocates to doing our active share in shaping Canada’s social, economic, environmental, and political perspectives.
Position: Board of Director (Maximum total from Coast to Coast to Coast: 19)
- 2 each for Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Quebec & Saskatchewan.
- 1 each for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland &
Labrador, Yukon, Northwest Territory and Nunavut.
Fundamental legal duties:
- Duty of Care – The responsibility to participate actively in making decisions on behalf of the organization and to exercise his or her best judgment while doing so.
- Duty of Loyalty – The responsibility to put the interests of the organization before personal and professional interests when acting on behalf of the organization.
- Duty of Obedience – The responsibility of ensuring that the organization complies with applicable federal, provincial, and local laws and adheres to its mission.
General Job Responsibilities:
- Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings, and contributes in the thinking process, deliberation and decision making of the whole board.
- Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work, programs, projects, and undertakings.
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
- Know and be able to effectively articulate the mission, vision, strategic direction, goals, and programs of FCNC.
- Commits to regularly checks online/email discussion and responds as needed.
- Helps improve and provides growth to the national organization by following all online pages and sites and promoting all public communication and postings.
- Heads a Committee upon appointment and be members of at least 2 other Committees.
- Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Partakes in the periodic review and revision, when appropriate, of the organization’s mission, bylaws, purpose, strategic directions, and goals.
- Participates and helps in fund raising for the organization.
- Commits to participate, if at all possible, in FCNC’s flagship event, the national leadership
- Adhere to conflict of interest, code of ethics policies, and non-partisanship in dealing with FCNC businesses.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Have had experience volunteering to do work for a community in whatever capacity, preferably in a leadership position.
- Strong organization skills, able to manage multiple priorities – professional work and community work.
- Proven interpersonal skills to interact effectively within and external to the organization.
- Has the knowledge and skills to lead program or project committees that may be assigned by the organization.
- Can use and share his/her professional field of expertise for the advancement of FCNC’s programs and projects.
- Have had experience in governance, management, and operations of a non-profit organization (preference) or has the aptitude for them given current and past work experiences.
- Ability to work independently as needed as well as collaborate with teams.
- Must be the designated representative of their organization. The organization must be an active General member of FCNC. Associate member is not eligible.
- Must be of good moral character and an untainted reputation as a community leader. Absolutely must not have any criminal record in any country.
Being a member of the Board of Director is an uncompensated volunteer activity. While board service is an honor, it also requires a significant commitment of time.
Term: 2 Years
Board Meeting Location and Time:
Online Regular Meeting: Every other 2 months on a weekday evening at 7:00 EST.
Special Meeting may be called with Notice.
In person meeting in rare occasion or during Leadership Convention week.
If you are interested, please send an email to email@example.com with short description of yourself (maximum of 200 words), photo (headshot) and include your answers to the following questions:
- What skills will you contribute to the FCNC Board?
- What are the most important functions of FCNC for its members?
- Why do you want to be a FCNC director?
The submitted profiles, photos and answers to questions will be posted at FCNC website.
Deadline to submit application: Monday, February 12, 2024 at 11:59 PM (Eastern)
If you have additional questions about the position, please contact COMELEC Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org